Monday, May 15, 2006

Knitting as therapy

The socks save! I'm serious!

Last night, I was a bit down, as you may have heard. When I couldn't sleep, rather than crank up the computer and whine some more and have the monitor lights make me feel even less like sleeping, I brought my half-completed sock to bed with me. I just knitted away on that sock, and the peace settled over me. The beautiful, rhythmic, soothing peace of knitting. I didn't stop thinking, but there's something about moving on, stitch by stitch and row by row that makes your thoughts move on as well. I have some problems with anxiety, and the part that's hardest to fight is the cyclical thought pattern where you dwell and stew and think about all the things that worry you over and over again. Well, I don't dwell when I knit. And I don't think I realized that until last night with my ugly little half-knitted sock.

I love that sock.



Kouros stalks the wild sandal as it grazes.

No comments: