Sunday, August 13, 2006

More Hiking

These pictures are from a couple of weeks ago when we went hiking in Treman State Park, just outside of Ithaca, NY. They're pretty, and I haven't done much that's blogworthy lately.

It looks a lot like the other parks in the Fingerlakes of which I've posted pictures. Gorges and waterfalls. Treman is my favorite, though.

This is Lucifer Falls. I think it's absolutely beautiful.

It was pretty hot, but it was nice and damp in the woods. The part of my Plant Pathology program that I loved the most was Mycology, and I still love mushrooms. Since it was so moist, they were all over the place. I love hunting for them.

The mushroom above, although big, isn't that interesting. It's the little yellow one at the bottom of the picture that really caught my eye. Fungi can have such brilliant colors...

and such interesting shapes.

I took a Field Mycology course during grad school and it was my favorite. I had to hunt and identify a bunch of different mushrooms. The best part was we had experts around to confirm identification- so when we found delicious edible fungi, we could be confident when eating it for dinner after class. It was wonderful. I identified this little orange guy once, and he's not edible, but he's pretty. I can't remember who he is, though.

I love this one- it was the first time I'd seen this color.

Oh, and here's a really gross millipede. It's got brilliant red stripes and legs, and it gives me the willies.

2 comments:

~drew emborsky~ said...

Oh lawdy those photos are fantastic! I have some cousins up that way that I've never met...looks like I'll need to go toes up on their couch sometime soon!

Anonymous said...

Susan,
That is a seriously nasty millipede.
Jenny