Thursday, September 28, 2006

Blah

I was trying the 10 day creativity prompt on Dreamy, but I don't know that it agrees with me. Or maybe I feel too confined by the cards to take full advantage of these prompts. The second day, the assignment was to look at ads and find a blueprint to use in a piece. I found one, and I started out with my watercolor pencils, hoping I could make an interesting background to do more on, but once I did it, I got stuck. I wanted to use the background to lay out the blueprint, and hoped that once it was down, it would suggest something further. Didn't happen. So that was yesterday's piece, but I think I'll wind up doing something more to it.


Today was rainy, gray and cold. There are a lot of ash trees where I work, and I noticed today in the diffuse light that the brilliant yellow leaves are really showing off the nearly black branches. This was a glimpse that stuck with me today. There was a little opening in the canopy- I'm not sure if the black branches had leaves on them, or if they were dead and that's why they stood out so well. It looked just like that, though. It was the first thing I saw when I closed my eyes to dream up today's piece. I tried to use ink with pastel over it. Jury's still out on how I feel about the two media together.

No comments: