Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Thoughts on my Hyperactive Hands

Originally, I meant for this blog to be a knitting blog, and nothing else. I would show pictures of what I've done and have it be somewhat anonymous and I'd be so disciplined and I wouldn't whine or use bad language or tell dirty jokes. But almost immediately I strayed to discussing work, my art, my fat cat and anything else I could think of. If you read this blog regularly, you already know discipline is something I'm sorely lacking. The thing is, I like having this little spot of exhibitionism to express myself. I don't like restrictions put on me, even when I'm the one trying to put the restrictions on myself. [Just an aside - usually in my most upsetting, frustrating dreams, my movement is restricted in some way or another. I once had a dream where I couldn't move out of a stick straight position, but I needed to get somewhere, so I rolled like a log through snow and across roads. I don't like being caged.]

So, I think the scope of my blog needs to broaden a bit, don't you? I think originally I had decided someday I'd have a art site where I could be a very professional artiste and all that (I'll wear black turtlenecks and stuff). And maybe I will, but I think my own little blog can be whatever the hell I want it to be, and I can show whatever the hell I want to show. My hyperactive hands are busy at so many different things (woo woo!), so I think it all works. Don't worry- I wasn't planning on talking about THOSE things I may or may not do with my hands. That's private. Or maybe it's not, but I'll only post things about THAT in the comments for BLARM! Ha ha!

In honor of the new inclusiveness in this blog, I'm very pleased to share one of the pieces I'm proudest of. I took drawing last year, and I really got into this piece. I would simply disappear for hours and my sole reason for being was to try to replicate the textures in this still life with my pencil. The picture isn't perfect, but I'm at work, and I don't have access to the better photos I took. I think I snapped this one quickly to send off to the parents right after I finished it.

1 comment:

JustApril said...

that's magnificent!

looks like a pile I have over in the corner =)*) That boot is someone's fav, eh?

mucho talENTtedado

(I should really look that up) I'm sure it's a ficticious word at this point heheeee