Thursday, March 15, 2007

The Waiting Auntie

Hopefully, my nephew-in-progress is making his way into the world as we speak. He is a week late, going by the latest due date given. As of a couple of days ago, my sister was dialated barely 1 cm. Fortunately for her, they have this thing now that acts on the cervix to cause dialation- the doctor kept referring to it as "the Barbie tampon." I'm not sure if this is different than the Prostaglandin suppositories or not. I am glad to hear about these options that don't involve a big old dose of pitocin. Or a very small dose, whatever. It's just supposed to make things so much more painful.

So... soon? This little boy is trying to break my sister of her planning, scheduled ways already. It amuses me to no end, because I've always been a little more fly-by-the-seat-of-my-pants. Anyhoo, keep your fingers crossed for my hypersensitive-to-pain sister. She needs a short labor and a good strong epidural.

2 comments:

dragon knitter said...

fingers, toes, knitting needles, legs (um, wait, scratch that, crossed legs ain't gonna help birth NO babies!) i've had 4, and it's not easy. go, sis, go!

JustApril said...

Yeah the pitocin is not much fun, tell her to walk and walk and walk laps around the mall or something. And rub the space in front of her achilles tendon, and the meaty spot in the where the bones of the first finger and thumb come to a point. Those are the contraction pressure points and THEY work!